What Makes Biodiesel a Smart Choice?
- Clean with significantly lower emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), particulates and other pollutants.
- As safe, nontoxic and biodegradable as table salt.
- Renewable and made from harmless canola, soybeans and sunflower oil.
- Domestically produced and reduces our dependence on foreign oil.
- A premium fuel that improves engine performance, reduces maintenance and extends engine life.
- A proven fuel that’s passed hundreds of millions of miles of road testing, and is approved and used by the U.S. military and the Pennsylvania state government.
Before You Use Biodiesel Fuel
- Remember, only diesel-engine vehicles can use biodiesel fuels.
- If your vehicle is a pre-1993 model, check to see if your fuel lines are made of rubber. Replace rubber lines with fuel lines and seals made from Viton®.
- Change your fuel filter after the first two tanks of biodiesel to remove any potential clogs from your engine.
- Significantly reduced emissions of CO2 (78%), particulate matter (47%) and total unburned hydrocarbons (67%).
- No SOx (acid rain) emissions.
- No negative effect on NOx (ozone).
- Positive life-cycle energy balance — produces 3.24 units of energy for every one unit used.
Vehicle Performance Benefits
- Cleaner engine
- Improved lubricity
- Higher cetane (the combustion quality of diesel fuel)
- Longer time between oil changes
Learn more about biodiesel and its benefits and find answers to commonly asked questions. Use the Store Locator to find the GetGo stations with biodiesel fuel.
*Source: US EPA and NREL studies.