Slow cookers aren’t just for winter – chili and barbeque pork or beef are great starters for taco salad or as a filling for a bun or wrap.
Make-ahead or partially-prepared meals minimize your time in a hot kitchen. Put dinner on the table in under 30 minutes with these tips:
- Fire up the grill. Bring out the flavors of London broil, pork tenderloin, chicken breasts or fish with spice rubs or marinades; make kebabs by alternating grape tomatoes, meat, peppers and onion on skewers
- Cook on the weekend. Bake and freeze Roasted Vegetable Lasagna made with fresh eggplant, home-grown zucchini and vine-ripened tomatoes; cook a pot roast or brisket and freeze slices to add to salad or sandwiches, or mix with veggies for a quick stir-fry
- Discover the magic of the microwave. Put together an Enchilada Casserole using lean ground beef or ground turkey; shun the stove with our microwaveable version of Risotto with Edamame and Arugula
- Pull out the crockpot. Slow cookers aren’t just for winter! Chili and BBQ Pulled Pork or beef are great starters for taco salad or as a filling for a bun or wrap; reduce fat by browning meat and onions first, then draining the fat before adding them to the cooker
- Eat main dish salads. Raid the garden for the ingredients for this Broccoli Salad, or combine asparagus, pear and pine nuts for a delicious Summer Salad
Take advantage of seasonal favorites
Celebrate with a Smoothie
Blend frozen fruit and non-fat yogurt for a cool, vitamin-packed treat. Quick and portable, smoothies are great for breakfast or on your way to the gym. Add protein powder, tofu, nut butters or fiber-rich flaxseed to boost the health quotient. You’ll find these and other supplements in the health and wellness aisle at Giant Eagle®.
For more ideas, consult your store’s registered dietitian or email email@example.com.
Brought to you by the Registered Dietitians at Giant Eagle and Market District®