Creative Gift Wrapping: Practically Perfect Presents
Creative gift-wrapping adds personality to your presents! Our guide shows you how to wrap gifts artfully and easily — with a touch of style.
- Consider the number of gifts you need to wrap, and their shapes and sizes.
- Gift bags work best for oddly shaped gifts.
- Measure your gifts to estimate the amount of roll paper that you’ll need. Most rolls indicate the dimensions on the package.
- Stock up on supplies (see checklist below)
- Ask for gift boxes when buying clothing. Many stores provide them free.
- Save shoeboxes or other small boxes —they come in handy, too.
- Keep a few rolls of solid-color paper on hand for “any occasion” gifting.
Ready, set, wrap!
- Choose a clean, open, flat work area, such as your kitchen table.
- Remove price tags from all gifts.
- Line boxes and gift bags with layers of tissue paper for cushioning and dimension.
- Get personal! For example, wrap a sports fan’s gift with team-themed paper, or the newspaper sports page. Use floral-print paper for garden buffs, or character-themed paper for kids.
- To build anticipation and surprise, wrap a small package in a larger box. For example, wrap a gift of earrings by placing the jewelry box in a shoebox —then wrap the shoebox.
- Include gift receipts. This allows the recipient to easily return or exchange a gift if so desired.
- Add ribbons and bows to complete your presentation.
- Decorate plain gift bags with colored markers. Get the kids to help!
- If you are wrapping a number of presents, decide where you will store them (closet, attic, spare room) until you are ready to distribute them.
- Wrapping paper
- Ribbon — rolls and pre-formed bows
- Gift bags and boxes
- Tissue paper — white and colored
- Transparent cellophane tape — double-sided tape works best
- Colored markers
- Ruler or straight edge