Celebrate Earth Day on April 22nd!
At Giant Eagle® we celebrate Earth Day year round through our commitment to improve the environment in all the communities we serve. Join us in our efforts to protect our planet.
- Choose paper products with recycled content to reduce demand for virgin timber.
- Choose biodegradable cleaning products that have received the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Design for the Environment (DfE) designation as safe for your family and the environment.
- Choose compact fluorescent light (cfl) bulbs that use 75% less energy than standard bulbs.
- Choose organic foods and protect our soil from harmful pesticides and keep our ecosystem healthy.
- Choose produce grown at one of our local farm partners to reduce travel, emissions and energy demands.
- Buy health and beauty products made from natural ingredients.
- Recycle each time you shop at Giant Eagle®. Bring your clean, dry, plastic grocery bags along with other plastics to your local store for recycling.
- Carry reusable shopping bags, available at our stores for just 99¢ each.
- Service your heating and cooling systems, change air filters, seal and insulate heating and cooling ducts in unfinished areas, and program your thermostat for energy savings while they’re away or asleep.
- Join the Giant Eagle and the U.S. EPA and take the Change the World, Start with ENERGY STAR® pledge to do your part.
- Don't pre-rinse dishes, run your dishwasher only when it's full and you'll save up to 20 gallons of water per load. Looking for a new model? Buy a water-efficient model that uses only about only about four gallons per wash.
- Participate in your community recycling programs for newspaper, steel, aluminum, glass and plastic bottles. Check with your local municipality for curbside recycling or centrally located recycling centers.
- Limit shopping trips to conserve fuel (and your time). For example, Giant Eagle banking, floral and dry cleaning services offer one-stop convenience while you shop for groceries. (Check your local store for details.)