Halloween is an exciting time for children, but trick-or-treating increases the risk of child pedestrian accidents and injuries. Before you head out into the neighborhood, be sure review these safety tips from Giant Eagle®.
Walk on sidewalks in well-lit areas whenever possible and carry a flashlight.
See and Be Seen
- Choose properly-fitting costumes that are either light-colored or decorated with reflective tape – avoid masks or headgear that can obstruct vision
- Avoid unwieldy or sharp sticks, swords or other objects that could cause injury in a fall
- Walk on sidewalks in well-lit areas whenever possible and carry a flashlight; cross streets at corners or marked crosswalks, following traffic signals
- Drivers – avoid driving during trick-or-treat hours; if you must be out, stay especially alert in neighborhoods and watch for children running into the street, especially near parked cars
Safety in Numbers
- Children under 12 should be accompanied by an adult
- Older children should travel in groups and carry a phone for emergencies; make sure they let you know where they’re going
- Instruct trick-or-treaters to stay in familiar neighborhoods close to home; they should never enter a house or approach a stranger’s car
Look Before You Eat
- All treats should be individually wrapped and sealed – an adult should inspect packaging to be sure all are secure, appear safe and don’t pose a choking hazard
- Practice good hygiene – remind children to wash hands before eating, and consider taking along hand wipes for safe snacking while you’re out
- Set a limit as to how much candy can be eaten at one time
Tips for Treats
- Keep nut- and peanut-free options on-hand for allergy-sufferers
- Consider offering non-food treats like stickers, pencils, erasers and wash-off tattoos, or lunch box-sized drinks like small bottles of Giant Eagle water and 100% juice in individual serving boxes
- Treat bags tend to get overfilled, dragged and dropped – avoid giving anything that might break, squash or leak
- When sending food for a party, include a list of ingredients on each food item
Brought to you by the Registered Dietitians at Giant Eagle® and Market District®.