- Purchase three to four ounces of cheese per guest. You may want to serve less if you're also offering a main course.
- Create beer and cheese stations — one for each flavor grouping — so guests can work their way around the table. Write the name of each beer and cheese on index cards so guests will know what they're tasting.
- Serve other delightful nibbles like vegetables and dip, crackers, ham or prosciutto, tortilla chips, and thick, hearty bread. Gourmet chocolates, grapes, apple slices, and sour cherries complement any cheese selection wonderfully.
- Offer some tasty sauces like spiced Dijon or honey mustard, quince jam, salsa, horseradish, and chutney.
- Serve plenty of seltzer or ice water to keep guests refreshed between tastings.
Time-tested beer and cheese pairings
||Pair with These Beers
|Aged Cheddar, such as Westminster Vintage or Westminster Farmhouse
||Guinness stout or Yuengling® porter
|Bel Chimay Trappist Belgian Cheese, Tallegio Cheese, Epoisses® Cheese, or Alsatian Muenster Cheese
||Trippel or Duvel® Belgian ale
|Young Gouda, Edam, Havarti, Fontina, or Asiago Fresco
||Hoppy Pilsner beers like Beck's, Amstel Light®, Grolsch®, Heineken®, or Stella Artois®
|Beemster® Classic, Vlaskas and XO cheese varieties
||Bass® or Killian's Irish Red
|Gruyere and other Swiss-style cheeses
||Brown ales and dark lagers, e.g. Sierra Nevada® and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale®
|Stilton® and mild, creamy blue cheeses
|White Stilton cheese with lemon zest
||Blue Moon® or Hoegaarden®
||Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar ale
Find your favorite cheeses in your local Giant Eagle® Cheese Shop and your favorite beers in selected Giant Eagle stores.