Holiday Feasts for Family and Friends
Ahhh, the winter holidays. Time to savor delicious foods, spend time with family and friends and celebrate the season.
Set the mood
Welcome your guests warmly by warming up your home with potted poinsettias, candles and other holiday décor… all available at your local Giant Eagle® store.
Start with appealing appetizers
Nothing whets an appetite like an appetizer. Browse our appetizer recipes for ideas, or visit Giant Eagle for prepared appetizers that taste like you made them yourself!
- Set out a tray of mixed nuts, or pair cashews with a cheese and pepperoni platter and a Farmers Market® fruit or veggie tray.
- Offer Maryland crab cakes and shrimp party platters.
- Delicious Market District® frozen appetizers are easy to prepare.
- Wings slathered in BBQ, Buffalo or General Tso's sauce are always a hit. Add celery sticks and dressing for dunking and dipping.
Cooking a ham this year?
The Giant Eagle Meat Department stocks spiral, bone-in, boneless, whole and half hams – ready for you to dress up, cook and serve. Dress up your ham with a Sweet and Spicy Glaze, a Mango Glaze or a glaze of Dijon mustard and cherries. Or crown your holiday table with a crown roast – just contact your Giant Eagle butcher to order about a week ahead.
Perhaps a beef roast?
Choose one of these popular roasts from Giant Eagle:
- Standing rib — Treat this holiday favorite with a dry-aged rub or season with garlic and black pepper.
- New York strip — Serve with a seafood course, or accent it with antipasti.
- Top sirloin — Tastes great with traditional potatoes and green beans or lasagna.
Try one of these great ideas for preparing your roast: Creamy Pecan-Dijon Sauce or Holiday Angus Rib Roast.
More sides, please!
Give your guests lots of choices with lots of side dishes. Freshen up old favorites with new ingredients, or try one of our side-dish recipes for something altogether new.
- Instead of making traditional mashed potatoes, use small, unpeeled red-skinned potatoes boiled with whole garlic cloves.
- Make a casserole of fresh green beans with a sauce cream, fresh mushrooms, and butter.
- Instead of a candied yam casserole, offer guests baked sweet potatoes. Bake the yams as you would standard baking potatoes, and then butter them with a glaze of butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Or mashed sweet potatoes topped with cranberries, nuts, or apples.
- Roast vegetables you might normally pan-fry, like Brussels sprouts or carrots.
- Sauté baby carrots with brown sugar.
Get your guests into the holiday spirit by serving up cranberry flavor beyond the usual sauce.
Don't forget dessert
This year, take the pressure off yourself and serve a spread of holiday treats from the Giant Eagle kitchens.
- Cheese and nuts — Our Market District Saint André Brie with Brown Sugar and Mascarpone Icing is nicely complemented by our sweet nut selections and chocolate-coated cashews. Or, pair brie with a fruit basket.
- Cookie trays — Our Holiday Cookie Trays feature all the classics: ginger men, macaroons, thumbprints, mini lady locks, cutout sugar cookies and more.
- Cakes and pies — Choose from a dozen different tortes or classics like cheesecake and cherry pie.
- Make sauces first, then those time-consuming side dishes. Salads and fruit trays can be made last.
- Complete your prep work first. Peeled, chopped potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator covered in water to keep them from browning. Chopped carrots and green beans stay fresh in the crisper. And cornbread or bread for stuffing can be cut into pieces and left out to aerate.
- Prebake or pre-buy. Rolls, pies and cookies don't have to be cooked day-of to taste fresh.
- Ask guests to bring side dishes, or purchase a few from the Giant Eagle Prepared Foods department. We've got all the traditional favorites, from vegetables and mashed potatoes to mac and cheese and cold pasta salads.
- Offer appetizers so you won’t feel rushed to feed your guests. Count on Giant Eagle for appetizer ideas like premade cheese boards and olive trays.