Black, brown and green; large or small; baked or warm olives are ideal accompaniments for cheeses like buffalo-milk mozzarella, caciocavallo and Pecorino. They’re also delicious with cured meats such as cappicola and soppressata.
First Bake the Olives
Use olives that have already been cured. You’ll find a wide variety of cured olives at the Olive & Antipasti Bar in select Giant Eagle® stores.
- Spread two pounds of olives with a bit of oil on a large baking sheet and bake for about one hour at 365°F.
- Or bake at 120°F for two hours on a baking sheet.
Then Season the Olives
- In a bowl, combine three tablespoons of olive oil with some chopped rosemary, fennel seeds, a couple of chopped cloves of garlic, some fresh hot pepper, lemon juice and chopped orange zest. Mix well to make a dressing.
- Coat the baked olives with the dressing and mix them.
- Let the olives rest for a few hours. Mix them once in a while before serving them with your favorite antipasti or Pecorino or goat cheese.