Cooking with Fresh Vegetables
Many fresh vegetables are naturally low in calories and fat, and contain nutrients that promote health. Dietitians recommend eating at least 2-3 cups of vegetables each day, and filling half of your plate with fruits and vegetables at each meal.
Crisp and crunchy, fresh vegetables make wonderful sides, salads and entrées.
Crisp and crunchy – and always in season at the Giant Eagle® Produce Department – fresh vegetables make wonderful sides, salads and entrées.
Buying, handling and storing fresh vegetables
- Buy only vegetables without breaks in the skin.
- Rinse vegetables under cold, running water.
- Never bleach produce or wash it with detergent — these cleaning products are not safe to eat. If you want to wash produce more thoroughly, use a specially designated produce-washing solution.
- If your vegetables have firm skins, use a soft brush to gently remove dirt.
- Dry your produce and refrigerate it after washing.
- Before cutting produce, wash and sanitize surfaces and utensils. Afterwards, wash and sanitize those items again.
- For maximum nutritional value, steam, grill, roast, microwave or stir-fry vegetables.
Easy tips for adding more veggies to your diet
- Make a snappy snack of low-fat dip with Giant Eagle vegetables.
- Substitute a salad for a main dish at lunch or dinner.
- Add mixed greens, tomatoes, or pepper slices to wrap sandwiches.
- Add chopped peppers, onions, and mushrooms to omelets or scrambled eggs.
- Add chopped vegetables or shredded cabbage to soup.
- Complement pasta dishes with fresh or lightly cooked vegetables.
Veggie starters and sides
Salads fit for a meal
- Break out your tongs and briquettes to whip up this Grilled Smoky Eggplant Salad. Manchego cheese and smoked paprika complement the eggplant and baby salad greens perfectly.
- Juicy shrimp, crispy bacon, nutritious barley, and creamy avocados come together in this Bacony Barley Salad with Marinated Shrimp..
- Looking for a quick salad? Stop by the Giant Eagle Salad Bar for a wide selection of fresh, crisp greens and goodies.
Very veggie main courses