Easy Greens and Inspired Salads
When it comes to putting leafy greens on your dinner table, come to Giant Eagle®. Our Produce Department is always brimming with fresh greens and all the fixings — tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, carrots, radishes, dressings — as well as a variety of Giant Eagle and Farmers Market® brand bagged salads.
Turn over a new leaf
A salad starts with the greens, and you’ll find a lot more than iceberg and romaine at Giant Eagle:
- Arugula— Long-stemmed with tender, deep green leaves. The flavor is peppery and sometimes sharp, like horseradish. Baby arugula has a milder taste.
- Frisée (Curley Endive) — Tender, curly leaves that range in color from creamy yellow to light green, with a slightly sharp to bitter taste. Try it in Apple, Bacon and Endive Salad with Honey Vinaigrette.
- Mâche — Pale green, very tender, thumb-shaped leaf lettuce with a very mild taste. Also called "lamb's lettuce" or "corn salad." Mix with other greens.
- Radicchio — Round like cabbage, with deep-veined, red and white leaves and a juicy, bitter taste. Make it into a meal with Warm Winter Salad for Two.
- Red oak leaf lettuce — Big, red leaves and delicate, sweet flavor. Often part of a salad mix that includes bolder greens but makes a great salad on its own.
- Spinach – Bright green rounded leaves. Add to a mixture of greens or as the base for Spinach, Asparagus & Strawberry Salad, and Spinach and Shrimp Salad.
Make it a meal
Turn your fresh greens or bagged salad into a delicious, healthy meal with these suggestions:
- Caprese-style — Add marinated peppers, Mozzarella cheese, and vinaigrette dressing to Giant Eagle Romaine Chopped bagged salad.
- Meat lover's treat — Crumble a little blue cheese into bottled or homemade salad dressing, and toss with our Italian Salad Blend, grape tomatoes, red onions, and thinly sliced steak.
- Chicken Caesar — Pick up a rotisserie chicken, pull the meat off the bones, toss with a bag of our Romaine Chopped salad mix, and top with Caesar salad dressing!
- Make it flavorful — Combine our Spring Mix salad with hard-cooked eggs and marinated artichoke hearts, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan, Asiago, or Romano cheese.
- Add crunch with croutons — Tear bread into bite-size pieces, toss with a little olive oil, and spread on a baking sheet. Toast at 350-400oF for a few minutes until the bread browns.
- Top it off — Top salads with dried cranberries, walnuts or almonds, golden raisins, feta cheese, blue cheese
Dress it up
Create homemade flavor by adding your own ingredients to your favorite bottled salad dressing.
||Crumbled blue cheese and a dollop of sour cream
||Finely chopped fresh dill and fresh-ground pepper
||Finely chopped fresh tarragon and chives
||Finely chopped fresh chives and parsley
|Sweet and Sour
||Chopped, canned mandarin oranges and poppy seeds
Giant Eagle has it in the bag!
With a little creativity, any of our delicious bagged salads can become the highlight of your meal, especially on busy weeknights. From our Italian and American salad blends to Springtime Spinach and European salads, we stock a bagged salad for every taste. The fun part is adding your favorite ingredients for a truly special meal.
And if you’re really busy or on the go, grab a prepared salad in our Prepared Foods department. There’s always a variety, they’re always fresh, and they’re always complete with dressing.