Weight Management Tips That Work
Whether you want to look and feel your best for an upcoming event or hope to jumpstart a healthier lifestyle, our Giant Eagle® tips and meal plans can help you reach your goals. Weight management starts with sensible eating, but many other factors can impact your success.
Start with Healthy Habits
- Aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night – studies show that the quantity and quality of sleep is related to the hormones that influence our appetites
- Record everything you eat and drink plus all physical activity – a visible reminder will help you eat smarter and exercise more; download the sample food and activity tracker attached to get started
- Eat something within two hours of waking to jumpstart your metabolism – people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight
- Don’t skip meals – rather than helping weight loss, it lowers your blood sugar, increasing cravings for high calorie, high carbohydrate foods
- Snack smarter – be sure these mini-meals are contributing nutrients and not just calories to leave you more satisfied; for suggestions on quick, healthy snacks, contact a registered dietitian at Giant Eagle® at email@example.com
- Exercise daily – studies show that most people need to exercise at least 60 minutes most days of the week to lose weight; this can be divided into multiple smaller segments throughout the day
- Set S.M.A.R.T. goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely) –Instead of just committing to walking more, a SMART goal would be to walk at least 30 minutes a day for five of the next seven days
To get started, download S.M.A.R.T Goal Setting Worksheet.
Try the Two-Week Tune-up
You could lose five pounds in two weeks with this easy meal plan from Yoplait® and Giant Eagle!
- Replace breakfast and lunch with a Yoplait Light, a grain and a fruit
- Eat a sensible dinner rich in lean protein, and your favorite vegetables for snacks
- Choose three additional servings of nonfat dairy, like skim milk
- Stay active with 30 to 40 minutes of walking or other exercise every day
Spend Your Calories Wisely
- Fill half of your lunch and dinner plates with non-starchy vegetables – browse the produce aisle at Giant Eagle for a wide variety of farm fresh vegetables
- Choose reduced or nonfat dairy products – drink reduced (1%) or skim milk and select lower-fat cheese and yogurts (Tip: make sure your nonfat flavored yogurt doesn’t contain a lot of sugar – you want calcium, not calories!)
- Select whole fruit over fruit juice – or limit your serving of juice to four ounces
- Replace half of grains with whole grains – choose whole grain bread and brown rice instead of refined products – you’ll get added fiber and nutrients, and feel full faster!
- Limit foods with extra calories – for example:
- 1 small serving of fast food French Fries contains 225 calories and 11.5 grams of fat on average
- 1 small baked potato (~5ounces) and 1½ teaspoons of trans fat free margarine contains only 150 calories and 3 grams of fat
Important Physician Advice Disclaimer: The content provided by Giant Eagle®, including but not limited to, website, recipe and health information is for educational purposes only. This content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Consult your physician for professional guidance before changing or undertaking a new diet program. Advance consultation with your physician is particularly important if you are under the age of 18, pregnant, nursing or have health problems.