Healthy Summer Snacks
Enjoy the long, hot days of summer with the season’s fresh, healthy fare! Giant Eagle® stores are stocked with juicy, ripe fruits and vegetables from local farms.
Many summer snacks are easy-to-prepare ahead of time and grab on the way out the door for work, play, or travel. Think "mini-meals" rather than snacks and keep a healthy balance of nutrition and calories in mind. Here are some ideas:
- Carry an insulated bag and cold pack to keep temperature-sensitive foods, like dips and yogurts, cold.
- Choose snacks high in nutrients such as:
- Fruits including fresh, dried and canned fruit are healthy summer snacks that are high in vitamin C. Bananas, apples, kiwi, grapefruit and pears make perfect on-the-go snacks.
- Vegetables like carrots, celery sticks, bell pepper strips, broccoli, snow peas, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and zucchini are great raw or when served with low-fat dip or Giant Eagle salsa.
- Grains such as whole-grain cereals, cereal bars, or trail mix made with your favorite ingredients
- Nuts are packed with protein, easy to carry and stay fresh
- Add extra appeal to cut fruits and vegetables with dips, salsas, peanut butter, hummus and cheese cubes
- Cut calories and salt by avoiding or limiting the usual "salty" snacks like potato chips. Consider baked snack chips that typically contain less salt, or bake your own chips from Giant Eagle® tortillas or pita pockets.
- Involve the kids in some healthy snacking activities — making trail mix, smoothies, yogurt, fruit and granola parfaits, or fruit and cheese cube kabobs (threaded on straws for safety).
- Freeze grapes or banana slices for a refreshing snack. Be sure that young children chew thoroughly to prevent choking.
- Hot temperatures mean you need extra hydration. Drink plenty of water and 100% fruit juice. Avoid soda and sugary drinks that are high in calories but low in nutrition.
Contact one of our registered dietitians for answers to your nutrition and diet questions a email@example.com. Looking for summer recipe ideas? Browse the Giant Eagle recipe library for ideas on snacks, appetizers, meals, cookouts and more.
Brought to you by the Registered Dietitians at Giant Eagle and Market District®
Important Physician Advice Disclaimer: The content provided by Giant Eagle®, including but not limited to, website, recipe and health information is for educational purposes only. This content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Consult your physician for professional guidance before changing or undertaking a new diet program. Advance consultation with your physician is particularly important if you are under the age of 18, pregnant, nursing or have health problems.