Helpful information on Medicare plans:
What drug plans cover Each Medicare Prescription Drug Plan has its own list of covered drugs, which is called a formulary. Many Medicare drug plans place drugs into different "tiers". Drugs in each tier have different costs, and a drug in a lower tier will generally cost you less than one in a higher tier.
How to get drug coverage To get Medicare drug coverage, you must join a plan run by an insurance company or other private company approved by Medicare. Each plan can vary in cost and drugs covered.
There are two plans for drug coverage:
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D).
- Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) (much like an HMO or PPO) or other Medicare health plans that offer Medicare prescription drug coverage.
How to join a drug plan
- Enroll on the Medicare Plan Finder or on the plan's website.
- Complete a paper enrollment form.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
When you join a Medicare drug plan, you'll give your Medicare number and the date your Part A and/or Part B coverage started.
How joining may affect your Medicare Advantage Plan If your Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) includes prescription drug coverage and you join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D), you'll be disenrolled from your Medicare Advantage Plan and returned to Original Medicare.
When you can join a health or drug plan You can sign up or make changes to coverage you already have from October 15 — December 7, 2013. You don't need to sign up for Medicare each year. However, each year you'll have a chance to review your coverage and change plans.
What you can do
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan, or vice versa.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another one.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn't offer drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage, or vice versa.
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare drug plan to another one.
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely.