Why should I join a Medicare Part D Plan?
A Medicare Prescription Drug Plan is an option, not a requirement. You do not have to enroll in Medicare Part D. However, you may want to consider joining a plan even if you do not take many prescription drugs currently, so that you have the coverage you need in the future.
When can I join a Medicare Part D Plan?
The Annual Enrollment Period is October 15 through December 7, 2014. Coverage begins January 1, 2015.
What do Medicare Part D Plans cover?
Each Medicare Prescription Drug Plan has its own list of covered drugs, called a formulary. Drug plans place medications into different “tiers.” A medication in a lower tier will generally cost you less than one in a higher tier. These plans cover outpatient prescription drugs only, and in order to enroll, you must have either Medicare Part A or Part B (or both).
At Giant Eagle, we could help you on prescription copays — as low as $0 on select Medicare Part D plans.
Evaluating Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Options:
Prescription Drug Plan (Part D)
- Covers only outpatient prescription drugs.
- To enroll, you must have either Medicare Part A or Part B (or both).
- Medicare Part D premiums are in addition to your Part A (if any) and/or Part B premiums.
Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) – similar to an HMO or PPO
- There are two types:
- Medicare Advantage with prescription drug coverage (MA-PD)
- Medicare Advantage without prescription drug coverage (MA)
- This type of plan combines your Part A (hospitalization) and Part B (doctor visits), usually with benefits like vision or dental. If you have a MA-PD plan, you can also get prescription drug coverage.
- You will need to ensure that your medications, pharmacies, doctors and hospitals are included in the plan.
- To enroll, you must have both Medicare Part A and Part B.
How Giant Eagle Pharmacy Can Help you Save:
Giant Eagle Pharmacy accepts most Medicare Part D plans, but choosing a plan that includes Giant Eagle Pharmacy as a preferred network pharmacy may help you save with prescription copays as low as $0 on select plans.
Giant Eagle Pharmacy has a preferred relationship with the following health plans:
For assistance with choosing the option that’s right for you, call the Giant Eagle Medicare Part D Help Line