Plan Ahead for the Best Deal
Airfare, resort and hotel prices stay relatively stable, but they do vary from season to season. Lowest-priced tickets are sold first. Pricing is determined by demand and capacity, so plan early and save.
- Become a price expert. Go online and research current airfare rates at least six months ahead; prepare to act quickly if a deal pops up.
- Minimize time-wasters. Consider your itinerary when scheduling your flight. Book a direct flight and try to schedule to avoid rush hour traffic at your destination.
Lighten the Load
- Pack light. If possible, bring only carry-on bags to avoid checked luggage fees. (Be sure to review your airline’s latest guidelines before you leave.) Consider buying disposable items at your destination.
- Consider available amenities. Airports enforce strict size limits on gels and liquids, so call your hotel in advance and ask about sample-size toiletry items and laundry facilities.
- Plan for presents. Consider asking your relatives to have gifts shipped directly to your home.
Travel on a Dime
- Make your own memories. Avoid the crowds and costs of typical tourist destinations.
- Stay near your area of interest to dramatically cut transportation costs.
- Bunk with friends or relatives. Remember to buy nice gifts to thank your hosts.
- Pack your own snacks before you fly. Stop at Giant Eagle to pick up healthy snacks for your flight.
- Eat in. Take advantage of rental properties and hotels with kitchen facilities.