Your Canvas: The Bread
Start your art project with baked, crusty bread instead of sliced bread out of a plastic bag. Your sandwich will be more nutritious, better tasting and more filling when you use whole wheat, whole or multigrain, sourdough, ciabatta, or any of the hearty, home-style breads from the Giant Eagle bakery.
Let Your Imagination Run
Use some of these unique sandwich ideas as a basis for creating your own.
- The Chicken & Arugula Sandwich starts with sunflower bread. Fresh arugula and slices of Giant Eagle rotisserie chicken are painted with horseradish, yogurt and honey for a deliciously unique sandwich meal.
- Chickpeas, oatmeal and more on whole wheat pita bread put the nutrition and flavors of the Middle East into our Falafel Sandwich.
- For a taste of Mexican, try this Senorita Fajita Sandwich, which features rotisserie chicken, chipotle-flavored reduced-fat mayonnaise and pepper jack cheese.
If you’d rather create a sandwich that’s more familiar, try one of these regional favorites:
- Hoagies (submarine sandwich, sub, grinder)
- Italian hoagies are usually made with thin-sliced ham and mozzarella layered atop either focaccia or Italian white bread. Some variants include cappicola or salami; others use mortadella sausage and fontina cheese. Serve hoagies cold or toast them to melt the cheese.
- For a Southwestern twist on the sub, fill with slices of Santa Fe turkey breast, cracked black pepper turkey, cheddar, and Pepper Jack cheeses.
- Layer Market District® Black Forest Ham, Italian roast of pork, and Havarti or cheddar cheese for a new spin on the ham-and-cheese sandwich.