Resolve to Snack Healthier
Every New Year, we resolve to eat better. If you like to snack, these healthy ideas will make it easier to keep your commitment to more nutritious snacking.
- Think of snacks as mini meals… a part of your daily caloric intake. Recognize the amount you can calorically afford to enjoy. Avoid snacking out of habit.
- Stock up on Giant Eagle® yogurt, low-salt or whole-grain pretzels, lower-fat popcorn, whole grain crackers and chips, low-fat cheese, fruit, carrot and celery sticks, bell pepper strips, artichoke hearts, and radishes. For the freshest, tastiest fruit and vegetables, visit the Giant Eagle Produce Department.
- Try unsalted nuts and keep portions reasonable. Nuts and nut butters (including soy and sunflower seeds) add protein to your diet. Spread nut butters on celery sticks or apple slices for crunchy eating and fiber.
- Drink low-calorie beverages such as diet soda, water, low-fat milk, or coffee or tea (plain or with low-calorie sweeteners)
- You can still enjoy high-calorie beverages like smoothies, flavored coffees or teas, wine or beer, or 100% juice if the beverage is the entire snack. If you want munchies too, be sure they’re light and low in calories.
- Read labels. Look for high fiber but less sodium and fat in snack foods.
- Remove temptation. If you must have snacks in the house, keep them in cupboards, not out in the open.
Brought to you by the Registered Dietitians at Giant Eagle and Market District®