Privacy Notice Highlights
Your privacy is important to Giant Eagle®. Our Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice”) is designed to help you understand how we collect, use and share your personal information and to assist you in exercising your privacy choices and rights. We may change or add to this Privacy Notice, and we encourage you to review it periodically.
These highlights set out some points about how we treat your personal information. Please review the full Privacy Notice to understand our privacy practices.
Privacy Notice Scope
This Privacy Notice applies to personal information collected, used, shared, or otherwise processed by Giant Eagle®, including in our physical retail stores, on our websites, through our mobile applications, and resulting from interactions with our other online or offline offerings (collectively, the “Services”). The Services include the GIANT EAGLE®, GIANT EAGLE EXPRESS, GETGO®, and MARKET DISTRICT® properties and our family of brands.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect various types of information from you when you interact with our Services. For example, we collect information from you when you shop using an online account or Giant Eagle Advantage Card®, register for our newsletters, or participate in a sweepstakes or contest. We also collect certain types of information from you automatically when you visit our websites, use our mobile applications, or visit our physical stores.
How We Use Your Information
We use the collected information to provide you with the Services. For example, we may use your information to help you find the nearest store, ensure your curbside delivery is ready when you are, and provide you with more relevant advertising. We may also use the collected information to analyze and improve the services, such as to verify your identity and develop new products and Services.
Disclosing Your Information to Others
We share your personal information with a variety of service providers and third parties to help us deliver the Services. We also share some information with additional third parties who may use the information for purposes in common with us or for their own purposes, including, but not limited to, advertising, analytics, and health and safety.
You have a variety of choices regarding whether and how we process, use, and share your personal information. For example, you can unsubscribe from unwanted emails using the link found at the bottom of the emails. You may also opt out of receiving targeted ads from our advertising partners.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices or this Privacy Notice, please contact us at:
101 Kappa Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Giant Eagle® Privacy Notice
Your privacy is important to Giant Eagle® and we are committed to protecting it. Our Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice”) is designed to help you understand how we collect, use and share your personal information, some of the ways that our use of your information enhances your experiences with us, and the choices available to you to exercise your privacy preferences and rights.
This Privacy Notice applies to personal information collected, used, shared, or otherwise processed by Giant Eagle® (“us,” “we,” or “our”) in our business, including in our physical retail stores, on our websites, through our mobile applications, and resulting from interactions with our other online or offline offerings (collectively, the “Services”). The Services include, but are not limited to, the GIANT EAGLE®, GIANT EAGLE EXPRESS, GETGO®, and MARKET DISTRICT® properties and their online presences, and our family of brands including GIFT CARD GALLERY®, CURBSIDE EXPRESS®, and WETGO UNLIMITED®, whether operated by us or independent retailers.
Additional notices and terms may apply to special offers or promotions, contests, and specific programs or services such as those provided by our pharmacies. Our Notice of Pharmacy Privacy Practices is found here.
We may revise this Privacy Notice from time to time in our sole discretion. If there are any material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you as required by applicable law.
“Personal information” refers to information that can be directly or indirectly associated with, or used to identify, a specific person, unless otherwise indicated within this Privacy Notice or dictated by applicable law. Examples of personal information include, but are not limited to: a name, address, phone number, email address, username or other online registration information; a credit card or other financial account number; or a Giant Eagle Advantage Card® number.
II. PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We or our service providers, on our behalf, may collect some or all of the following categories of information from you and others depending on how you interact with our Services.
Information You Provide to Us
Account Creation and Usage. When you create an account using our Services, such as on a website or via a mobile application, we collect information such as your name, home and delivery addresses, telephone number, date of birth, email address, loyalty account number, and certain preferences. We may also collect information related to the use of the account, including information on where the account is used and what you or other members of your household purchase while using the account. This information is used to improve our Services, such as by automatically filling in your email, address, and phone number when you place an order.
Giant Eagle Advantage Card®. When you apply for or register a Giant Eagle Advantage Card®, Market District Advantage Card™, or GetGo Advantage Card™ (collectively, the “Advantage Card”), we collect information such as your name and email address. We also collect information related to the use of the Advantage Card by you or your household members, including information on where the card is used, what is purchased while using the card, and whether the card is linked to other accounts on the Services. We use this information to personalize communications, offerings, and recommendations to you.
Payment Information. We may collect financial and payment information from you when you use the Services.
Your Communications with Us. We collect information from you such as email address, phone number, or mailing address when you request information about our Services; register for our digital coupons, eReceipts, eAdvantage offers, newsletters, or other mailing lists; request customer or technical support; apply for a job; or otherwise communicate with us. We may use software applications designed to simulate conversation in order to collect customer service or other information. You should not provide sensitive personal information to such applications.
Direct Contacts. We may collect information you provide while directly interacting with a team member in our physical stores.
Employment. If you apply for an internship, job posting, or become an employee, we collect information necessary to process your application or to retain you as an employee. This may include, among other things, your Social Security Number, mailing address, and financial information. Providing this information is required for employment. We use information about current employees to perform our contract of employment, or the anticipation of a contract of employment with you. In some contexts, we are also required by law to collect information about our employees.
Surveys. We may contact you to participate in surveys. If you decide to participate, you may be asked to provide information which may include personal information. We use the information collected through surveys to get feedback about how to improve the Services and to personalize our communications, offerings, and recommendations to you.
Sweepstakes or Contests. We may run sweepstakes or contests. Contact information you provide may be used to reach you about the sweepstakes or contests and for other promotional, marketing and business purposes. Your entry in the sweepstakes or contests may result in you being added to our mailing lists as well as those of our associated promotional partners. In the event that you win a sweepstakes or contest, acceptance of a prize may require you to allow us to publicly post information about you, such as on a winner’s page, or provide information about you to a state agency. In some instances, a third-party advertiser or sponsor may operate or host a promotion on or through our Services and collect your information.
Interactive Features. We may offer interactive features such as forums, blogs, widgets, or social media pages. Any content you provide via these features will be considered “public” and is not subject to privacy protections.
Security. We may use security features, such as reCAPTCHA1 , to help protect your information when you interact with us online and through our mobile applications.
Information Collected Automatically or From Others
Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically, using session replay and other technologies, when you use the Services. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, MAC address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising and other unique identifiers, details about your browser, operating system or device, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before, during and after using the Services, information about the links you click, and other information about how you use the Services. Information we collect may be associated with accounts and other devices. This information helps us improve the speed of the Services and protect you from misuse and fraud.
In addition, we may automatically collect data regarding your use of our Services, such as the products you purchase, types of content you interact with, and the frequency and duration of your activities. We may combine your information with other information you provide and information that other people provide when they use our Services.
Mobile Applications. We may collect information about your mobile device, include the device’s type, operating system version, IP address, device name, and unique device identifiers when you use our mobile applications. This information helps us improve the speed of the Services and protect you from misuse and fraud.
Location Information. We may collect information describing your geo-location when you use the Services. This geo-location information may include approximate geo-location information inferred from your IP address. With your consent, we may also collect precise geo-location information reported by your browser or gathered from your mobile device through GPS, WiFi triangulation, or other technologies. If your device is configured properly, we may additionally use Bluetooth or other sensors on your device in combination with BLE beacons located at our physical stores or other locations to determine your precise geo-location. The geo-location information may be used to, among other things, provide you with offers and information you may find relevant and reduce your wait time for curbside order pick-up. You may limit or opt-out of the collection of precise geo-location information by changing the settings on your mobile device to disable or restrict usage of location services and/or Bluetooth functionality for applications related to the Services.
Audio/Video Recording. We may collect video, CCTV images and recordings, and other such data, at our physical store locations to help recognize you, provide you with special assistance or services, prevent fraud and theft, support business analytics, monitor social distancing, ensure security, enhance marketing, and improve other store operations. We may also record calls or other communications when you contact us to request customer or technical support.
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in visitors’ computer browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you do that, the Services may not work properly.
- Pixel Tags/Web Beacons. A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded in the Services that collects information about users’ engagement on that web page. The use of a pixel allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement.
Analytics. We may use the below and various other service providers to collect analytics information regarding visitor behaviors and visitor demographics on our Services. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. For more information about Crazy Egg analytics, please visit https://www.crazyegg.com/privacy. You can opt out of Crazy Egg’s collection and processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to https://www.crazyegg.com/opt-out. For more information about Adobe Analytics, please visit https://www.adobe.com/privacy.html. You can opt out of Adobe Analytics’ collection and processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to https://www.adobe.com/privacy/opt-out.html. These analytics allow us to determine how our visitors use the Services, such as by recording and replaying the visitors’ interactions with the Services.
Third-Party Customer Loyalty Programs. You may have the option of associating your purchases of certain qualifying products from us with customer loyalty programs operated by third parties (“Third-Party Customer Loyalty Programs”) by providing your Third-Party Customer Loyalty Program account number at the time of purchase. We may collect information about your purchase of a qualifying product associated with a Third-Party Customer Loyalty Program. We collect this information to make it easier for you to participate in Third-Party Customer Loyalty Programs.
Credit Information. We may collect financial information about you from a credit reporting agency or other third party. This information is collected to help us make decisions about offering credit or other services.
Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information about you from other sources, including from third party services and organizations to supplement information collected automatically or provided by you. For example, if you access our Services through a third-party application, such as an app store, a third-party login service, or a social networking site, we may collect information about you from that third-party application that you made available via your privacy settings. Information we collect through these services may include, for example, your name, your user identification number, your username, location, gender, birth date, email, profile picture, your contacts stored in that service, and other information.
III. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information directly and through service providers for a variety of business purposes, including to:
Provide you with our Services, such as:
- Managing and maintaining your information and accounts;
- Providing access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services;
- Communicating with you about your account, activities on our Services and Notice changes;
- Evaluating and processing your application or other materials you submit as a job applicant;
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device;
- Processing your financial information and payment methods for products or Services purchased;
- Providing advertising, analytics and marketing services;
- Providing Services and customer service to our customers and verifying customer information;
- Processing enrollment applications and related transactions;
- Allowing you to register for events;
- Ensuring accuracy and timeliness when fulfilling online, in-store, and curbside transactions; and
- Conducting transactions for which we are legally required to collect information (e.g., for age-restricted products).
Analyze and improve our Services, such as:
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Measuring interest and engagement in our Services and short-term, transient use, such as contextual customization of ads;
- Research for technological development;
- Researching and developing products, services, marketing or security procedures to improve their performance, resilience, reliability or efficiency;
- Improving, upgrading or enhancing our Services;
- Developing new products and Services;
- Ensuring internal quality control;
- Verifying your identity and preventing fraud;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Enforcing our terms and policies; and
- Complying with our legal obligations or as may be required for public health and safety.
Provide you with additional content and Services, including, but not limited to:
- Furnishing you with customized materials about offers, products, and Services that may be of interest, including new content or Services and Services near you;
- Auditing relating to interactions, transactions and other compliance activities; and
- Other purposes referenced in this Privacy Notice, you consent to, are notified of, or are disclosed when personal information is provided.
Provide you with employment, including:
- Allowing you to apply for open positions;
- Processing job applications;
- Providing you with employment benefits;
- Complying with our legal obligations.
Use of De-identified and Aggregated Information. We may use personal information and other data about you to create de-identified and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you or other members of your household access our Services, or other analyses we create.
Sharing Content with Friends or Colleagues. Our Services may offer various tools and functionalities. For example, we may allow you to provide information about your friends through our referral services. Our referral services may allow you to forward or share certain content with a friend or colleague, such as an email inviting your friend to use our Services.
How We Use Automatic Collection Technologies. We, as well as third parties and service providers that provide content, advertising, or other functionality on the Services, may use Technologies, including session replay technologies, for purposes that fall into the following general categories:
- Operationally Necessary. This includes Technologies that allow you access to our Services, applications, and tools that are required to identify irregular site behavior, prevent fraudulent activity and improve security or that allow you to make use of our functionality;
- Performance Related. We may use Technologies to assess the performance of our Services, including as part of our analytic practices to help us understand how our visitors use the Services;
- Functionality Related. We may use Technologies that allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using our Services. This may include identifying you when you sign into our Services or keeping track of your specified preferences, interests, or past items viewed;
- Advertising or Targeting Related. We may use first party or third-party Technologies to deliver content, including ads relevant to your interests, on our Services or on third party sites.
Cross-Device Tracking. Your browsing activity may be tracked across different websites and different devices or apps. For example, we may attempt to match your browsing activity on your mobile device with your browsing activity on your laptop. To do this our technology partners may share data, such as your browsing patterns, geo-location and device identifiers, and will match the information of the browser and devices that appear to be used by the same person.
Notice Regarding Third Party Websites, Social Media Platforms and Software Development Kits. The Services may contain links to other websites, and other websites may reference or link to our website or other websites provided by third parties that incorporate our branding. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen or approve and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting these other websites or applications is at your own risk.
For additional information on the privacy practices of some of the third parties that host portions of our sites, please click on one of the following links: gift cards; cakes; contact lenses; AdvantagePay®; Google Maps; WetGo Unlimited/Hamilton®.
Our Services may include publicly accessible blogs, forums, social media pages, and private messaging features. By using such features, you assume the risk that personal information provided by you may be viewed and used by third parties for any number of purposes. In addition, social media buttons (that might include widgets such as the “share this” button or other interactive mini-programs) may be on the Services. These features may collect your IP address and which page you are visiting on the Services and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. These social media features are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on the Services. Your interactions with these features apart from your visit to the Services are governed by the privacy notices of the companies providing the features.
We may use third party APIs and software development kits (“SDKs”) as part of the functionality of our Services. APIs and SDKs may allow third parties including analytics and advertising partners to collect your personal information for various purposes including to provide analytics services and content that is more relevant to you.
IV. DISCLOSING YOUR INFORMATION TO OTHERS
We share your personal information with a variety of service providers and third parties to help us deliver the Services. We also share some information with additional third parties who may use the information for purposes in common with us or for their own purposes, including, but not limited to, advertising, analytics, and health and safety. Some of these arrangements may constitute a “sale.”
The categories of service providers and third parties to whom we provide information include:
- Account Owners. If your Advantage Card is shared within your household or otherwise shared with another person, then the other person will be able to view your shopping history and other information associated with the account. The other person can also use any value stored in the account.
- Advertising Partners. Through our Services, we may allow third party advertising partners to set Technologies and other tracking tools to collect information regarding your activities and your device (e.g., your IP address, mobile identifiers, page(s) visited, location, time of day). We may also combine and provide such information and other information (such as demographic information and past purchase history) to third party advertising partners. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements to you when you visit third party websites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising” or “online behavioral advertising. We may allow access to other data collected by the Services to share information that may be useful, relevant, valuable, or otherwise of interest to you.
- Affiliates. We may provide personal information to our subsidiaries and affiliated companies.
- Business Partners. We may provide personal information to business partners with whom we jointly offer products or services. We may also provide personal information to our independent retailers in order to provide you with a seamless brand experience across all of the Services.
- Financial Institutions. We may provide your name and address to financial institutions that we partner with to create and offer products.
- Service Providers. We may provide any personal information we collect about you to our service providers. The categories of service providers to whom we entrust personal information include: information technology (IT) and related services providers; information and services providers; payment processors; delivery service providers; customer service providers; and vendors that otherwise support the provision of the Services.
- Other Third Parties. Except as otherwise stated in this Privacy Notice, we may provide or sell your information, including your shopping history, to third parties as permitted by applicable law, including to analyze your shopping habits, update the offerings on the Services, and for marketing, advertising and research purposes.
Disclosures to Protect Us or Others. We may access, preserve, and disclose to external parties any information we store that is associated with you if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our or others’ rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy.
Disclosure in the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers. If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, then your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction, including at the negotiation stage, as permitted by law and/or contract.
International Data Transfers. By accessing or using our Services, you agree that all information processed by us may be transferred, processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, the United States, which may have data protection laws that are different from the laws where you live. We endeavor to safeguard your information consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.
V. YOUR CHOICES
Some jurisdictions give you a right to make the following choices regarding your personal information. In certain circumstances you may have the following rights:
- Confirm Processing and Access Your Personal Information. You may request confirmation of processing of your information and request access to your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you access to the personal information that we have about you and take reasonable measures to provide the information in a portable format. Note that California residents may be entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal information (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for direct marketing. To request access to your personal information, contact us using any of the “Contact Us” methods provided herein.
- Changes To Your Personal Information. We rely on you to update and correct your personal information. Most of our websites and mobile applications allow you to modify or delete your account profile. If our website or mobile application do not permit you to update or correct certain information, you may contact us at the address described below in order to request that your information be modified. Note that we may keep historical information in our backup files as permitted by law. To request modification of your personal information, contact us using any of the “Contact Us” methods provided herein.
- Deletion Of Your Personal Information.You may request that we delete your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another one of our business purposes. To request deletion of your personal information, contact us using any of the “Contact Us” methods provided herein.
- Object to Certain Processing. You can object to some processing or disclosure of your personal information collected on the Services by contacting us using any of the “Contact Us” methods provided herein.
- Opt-Out of the Sale or Sharing of Personal Information. You may have a right to opt-out of the sale of or sharing of your personal information for behavioral advertising purposes. You can opt-out by completing the online form here.
- Mobile Devices. We may send you push notifications through our mobile applications. You may at any time opt-out from receiving these types of communications by changing the settings on your mobile device. We may also collect location-based information if you use our mobile applications. You may opt-out of this collection by changing the settings on your mobile device as discussed above under “Location Information.”
- “Do Not Track.” Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
If you would like to appeal our decision regarding a request to manage your personal information, please contact us at the address below. In your message, please provide a brief description of the issue, a reference number to, or a copy of, your original request, and why you believe our decision was made in error.
Cookies and Interest-Based Advertising. You may stop or restrict the placement of Technologies on your device or remove them by adjusting your preferences as your browser or device permits. Please note that cookie-based opt-outs are not effective on mobile applications. However, for some devices, you may use your device’s platform controls in your settings to exercise choice (e.g., Android, iOS, and others). However, if you do that, the Services may not work properly.
The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from data partners and other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these opt out options and learn more about browser and device settings, targeted advertising, consumer choice, and privacy at: www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/, https://youradchoices.ca/choices/, and www.aboutads.info/choices/. You can opt out of online behavioral advertising with Pinterest by changing your personalization settings.
Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device. Advertisements on third party websites that contain the AdChoices link may have been directed to you based on information collected by advertising partners over time and across websites. These advertisements provide a mechanism to opt out of the advertising partners’ use of this information for interest-based advertising purposes.
VI. SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take steps to ensure that the personal information we process is managed securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice. Unfortunately, no system is 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, we do not accept liability for unauthorized disclosures. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse.
By using the Services or providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. If we learn of a system breach that may have impacted the security of your information, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Services or on other public media, by mail, or by sending an e-mail to you.
VII. CHILDREN’S INFORMATION
The Services are not directed at children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children. If you learn that your child under age 13 (or under age 16 in California) has provided us with personal information, you may contact us as set forth below. If we learn that we have collected a child’s personal information in violation of applicable law, we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate the child’s account.
VIII. CONTACT US
If you have any questions about our privacy practices or this Privacy Notice, or if you wish to submit a request to exercise your rights as detailed in this Privacy Notice, please contact us at:
101 Kappa Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
IX. LAST UPDATED AND EFFECTIVE DATE
This Privacy Notice was last updated and is effective as of April 4, 2022.
© 2022 Giant Eagle, Inc.