Make the Best Chicken Breast
A perfectly cooked, moist chicken breast is probably one of the most versatile proteins out there. It tastes amazing in salads, sandwiches, pastas and almost every culture on the planet has its own, delicious chicken breast recipes and dishes. To honor the humble chicken breast, here are tips and tricks to help you cook a chicken breast, plus our top nine chicken breast recipes you can try at home today!
How to Cook a Chicken Breast
- First things first, check your recipe and see if it requires a bone-in or boneless chicken breast, with or without the skin. If you’re using a bone-in chicken breast with skin, it will take longer to cook so you’ll have to adjust your cook time accordingly. Chicken internal temp must be 165°F (75°C), so be sure you have a reliable meat thermometer since undercooked chicken can be dangerous, and overcooked chicken is just dry and bland.
- Before you season, make sure your chicken is dry and at room temperature. A chicken breast that is too wet or cold before cooking can result in overcooking, and potentially losing flavor. If your chicken breast has been in the fridge or freezer, leave it out for at least 30 minutes and pat dry.
- For a delicious, moist chicken breast, don’t forget to flavor and season! You can use a brine or marinade to ensure your chicken is extra juicy, or you can season with garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, paprika, or dried herbs like basil or oregano in addition to basic salt and pepper.
- There are many ways to cook a chicken — poaching, grilling, pan-frying — but if you’re curious how to cook chicken breast in the oven, bake at 350-375°F for about 25 to 30 minutes until it has reached an internal temp of 165°F (75°C) and you’ve got a quick, delicious dinner!
- Once you’ve cooked your chicken breast, don’t slice in too soon! Wait about 5 minutes and really let the juices sink into the breast. Then, when you do slice into it, it’s as tender and juicy as possible.
Try these tips today with some of our favorite chicken breast recipes.